Monday, April 2, 2012

Visit to MoMa Ps1

I visited MoMa Ps1 and I was very intrigued by some of the art that was created and displayed. Some of it I found to be very confusing. Frances Stark I believed had me the most confused as to her inspiration for her piece. She had these two animated characters and their privates where covered by a leaf for each of the exposed parts. The two characters where speaking about sex. I was confused about where her idea came from with this video and i found that her inspiration came from someone she met anonymously on a website and formed from their conversation. She then found this site xtranormal and began to create her characters and dialogue. I felt that the green screen represented the whole idea of being in "no place and coming from nothing and out of this nothing they created a dialogue so the viewers can create their own projections. It also made me understand why she used a video versus a painting or expressing this in words. As I analyzed this piece, I came to the realization that she left it open to the viewers imagination to create their own characters as well as well as voices and their own scenery which then made it an individual experience for everyone. Clifford Owens exhibit of anthology is very difficult to define and the fact that it cannot be defined is the part that really is intriguing to me as well as most of his viewers whom i spoke with at the exhibit. He depicts this kind of sexual vibe of dominance. He then had this three part video playing at the same time on different screens where he showed interactions between human and an animal, human and human. He always gives the sense of me the subject, the foundation and his interactions with either the camera or another person and even if he repeats the same action with another person the "subject" always receives different responses which was very comical and kind of really difficult to understand. From Henry Taylor, I got this sense of black power. He had an exhibit of this black fist and directly behind it was a display of Huey Newton. In the display Huey was dressed in all black which reminded me of the black panthers era and this fight for justice was executed with showing a staff in one hand and a gun in the other and her sat upright on this pedestal which depicted power and strength. There were also some "African artifacts" that surrounded him in the display to reflect on heritage. I loved the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment